Sunday, March 15, 2009

CLG Talks with Freelance Writer/Blogger Mary Davis





ChickLitGurrl Talks with Freelance Writer & Blogger Mary Davis





INTERVIEW EXCERPT




CLG: I am a fan of your blog, Adventures in Freelancing [link]. On your blog, you state, "Join me in my journey to a freelance career. Let's learn something together!" What sparked you to start your journey into freelancing?
MD: Thank you so much! I worked as an academic adviser at the local community college, and I really loved my job, but I was living a crazy-paced life and felt that I wasn’t giving my family sufficient time and attention. So when I found out that I was pregnant with my third child, I made the decision to leave my job and try to earn an income from writing. I’d done lots of reading on the subject and knew that it was possible.


CLG: Are there particular fields/subjects you're developing your freelance career around? If so, what are they, and why do they interest you?
MD: Yes, I made the decision to write about topics with which I’m familiar. As a mom of three young children, my quality writing time is limited, so I’ve found it more convenient to begin my career focusing on areas I know. I write primarily about issues affecting college students, health, beauty, and personal development. As my children become more independent, I hope to become more of a generalist because I love learning about new things and enjoy the researching and interviewing involved in freelance writing.


CLG: What opportunities have you taken part in since starting your career?
MD: I jumped right into the blogging world because it was a way to practice my writing and to force myself to write on a regular basis. Putting your writing out there can be very intimidating to someone just starting out, and blogging is a great outlet to get your feet wet. I began practicing my interviewing skills by talking to people I met through social media, and through those contacts, I’ve obtained some paid blogging positions. I’ve also begun querying online and print publications for college students. These are writing avenues that fit well into my lifestyle.




Check out the rest of Mary Davis' interview @ ChickLitGurrl: high on LATTES & WRITING!




ChickLitGurrl: high on LATTES & WRITING
Chocolate-caramel lattes + Women writers = ONE GREAT TIME!
[chicklitgurrl.blogspot.com]



Leave comments!

No comments: