Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Writer of All Trades: Kristin Johnson

Head over to ChickLitGurrl: high on LATTES & WRITING where I talk with a writer of all trades: screenwriter, poet, novelist, journalist - Kristin Johnson!








Writer of All Trades: Kristin Johnson





INTERVIEW EXCERPT





CLG: Talk to us about one of your first YES moments - a time when you received positive reception for your words.

KJ: Reading the wedding poem for my sister and brother-in-law, "On Our Wedding: Ahava," that later won first place in the Blue Mountain Arts Tri-Annual Poetry Competition. That poem was my wedding gift to them. When a local playwriting group staged a reading of my one-act play "Greetings and Salutations" (that later appeared in its playwriting festival and was nominated for five local theater awards), one of the audience members, an actor, jumped up and said, "I love it!"


CLG: You're strutting down the street - looking, feeling like a million bucks - what's your theme song?

KJ: "Wind Beneath my Wings" by Bette Midler, "One Heart" by Celine Dion or "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra.


CLG: What are some of the things you're doing to get your writing into the right hands?

KJ: Beyond the usual, writing contests and submitting to publishers/producers/agents (which I need to do more of), I would say: Networking, networking, networking. I network with people who aren't, strictly speaking, in the business, because you never know. I go to screenwriters' events hosted by Women in Film-Palm Springs, an organization I cannot praise enough. I connect with people through wonderful groups such as the Original Palm Springs Writers Guild, National League of American Pen Women and The MuseItUpClub Online.


CLG: Why do you write?

KJ: Author Christopher Rice, son of Anne Rice and a formidable professional in his own right, spoke to one of my writers' groups recently. He said, "What you do is valuable to our culture." While that's uplifting in the grander scheme (and a comforting thought on those writer's block days), my more elemental answer is that writing is part of who I am. I have a passion for it. Words, ideas, thoughts. A painting can spark a story. Anything I'm reading about or watching inspire stories, or else make it into my writing. I am a voracious reader and moviegoer. The written word is my lifeblood. My great-grandmother was a writer and my mother published a children's book.




To read the rest of Kristin Johnson's interview, head to ChickLitGurrl: high on LATTES & WRITING!





ChickLitGurrl: high on LATTES & WRITING

Chocolate-caramel lattes + Women writers = ONE GREAT TIME!

[chicklitgurrl.blogspot.com]





Leave comments!

No comments: